John R. Becker
West Bloomfield, Michigan 48322
A Human Resources / Training professional
experienced in developing, delivering and administering training and selection systems for hourly and management employees.
Experienced working in union, non-union, company and franchise environments. Independent, creative, self-starter.
United Road, Romulus, MI 2007-Present
National automotive transport company with over 70 terminals throughout
the United States
Director of Education
Supervised, developed and delivered driver and management training for
* Developed BEST LOAD, a 4 week program to teach the Basics of Effective and Safe Transport, Learning to
be On time and Damage free to all newly hired car haulers. This helped reduce 90 day turnover from 39% in 2006 to 26% in 2008.
* Supervised 2 experienced car haulers who served as subject matter experts in training over 260 new car haulers.
* Wrote the Terminal Manager Quick Reference for newly promoted Terminal Managers.
* Revised and updated the Driver
* Wrote the Road to Effective Communications and Road to Effective Interviewing and Selection Workshops.
Denny's, Spartanburg, SC 1995-2006
National 24 hour, family restaurant chain with over 1600 company and franchise
Management Training Consultant (Field Training Manager) 1996-2006
Supervised and delivered management
and operations training for company and franchise restaurants in Michigan, Ohio, New York, and Ontario, Canada.
workshops covering a broad range of operational procedures and legal compliance issues for thousands of Denny's employees
* Developed Financial Analysis, Management Communication, Time Management, and Restaurant Staffing workshops
used throughout the Denny's chain.
* Wrote lyrics for 21 Denny's songs used in Regional meetings and restaurant pep rallies.
* Created a spreadsheet to quickly calculate total turnover cost for a single unit or multiple units. Helped our region
achieve turnover 20% below company average.
Divisional / Field Training Director 1995-1996
Supervised Regional Training
Managers in the Midwest, Great Lakes, and New England areas.
* Managed nine Field Training Managers throughout the Midwest
and Eastern United States.
Frank's Nursery and Crafts, Detroit, MI 1990-1994
Regional retailer of craft supplies
and horticulture products. Operated up to 267 stores.
Director Human Resource Development
Started up the Human
Resources Development department and delivered technical and management training company-wide.
* Supervised the Horticulture
Education and Store Training departments within HRD.
* Created Frank's University with emphasis on developing Store Managers
and preparing them to become District Managers.
* Led the team in rolling out Harvard University's "Achieving Breakthrough
Service" program to 1200 Field and Store Managers in a six month period.
* Produced Training Videos on plant care
and cash register operations.
Borman's / Farmer Jack Supermarkets, Detroit, MI 1986-1990
Regional supermarket chain
operating over 70 Farmer Jack Supermarkets.
Manager, Training and Development
Started up the Training and Development
department. Developed and delivered training programs and assisted other departments within Human Resources.
and delivered multiple management and operational training programs.
* Initiated succession planning for all corporate
Director and VP positions.
* Conducted college recruiting for store management candidates.
* Developed and administered
an assessment center for selecting 60 Store Managers.
* Assisted other departments with all aspects of Human Resources.
Stores, Oakland, CA 1973-1986
International supermarket chain operating over 2,000 stores in the United States, Canada,
United Kingdom, and Australia.
Personnel Research Manager 1979-1986
Developed and implemented state of the art
Human Resource programs.
* Designed and administered assessment centers to select Store and District Managers.
Four year study on impact of Store Manager Assessment program showed $90,000 per year in improved net profit per manager selected.
Overall impact $45,000,000.
* Developed and validated entry level selection systems for store clerk and warehouse order
* Adapted and installed assessment centers in Canada, the U.K. and Australia.
* Designed and conducted
opinion surveys on an employee population of over 170,000.
Supermarket Manager 1973-1979
Supervised employees and
managed the operation of three Safeway supermarkets in Iowa.
Masters of Business Administration, University
of California, Berkeley, CA 1983
Bachelor of Arts, Economics, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 1979
/ Industrial Relations at Michigan State University 1967-1972
US Army Infantry, Sergeant, 101st
Airborne, Vietnam 1968-1970
Combat Infantry Badge, Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal, Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with
Certified to facilitate ServSafe, Situational Leadership II, and Civil Treatment for
Managers, as well as over twenty management development programs. Member of the American Society for Training and Development.